• Scientists estimate that lawn fertilizer accounts for 7 to 15% of our total nitrogen loading problem.
• Lawn fertilizers with high levels of water-soluble synthetic nitrogen are a big part of the problem.
• We have a single source underground aquifer system for drinking water; we can't afford to contaminate it.
• We have a unique and extensive marine environment - one reason why we live here!
• We depend on clean water for swimming, boating, fishing and tourism.
• Clean water is critical for our marine-related industries, especially shellfish harvesting.
• New York State has already passed a law protecting fresh water bodies from harmful algal blooms and fish kills by prohibiting phosphorus in lawn fertilizer. (Phosphorus does to fresh water what nitrogen does to salt water.) Long Island deserves the same protection as the rest of the state!
• There are many products already available for industry and homeowners that meet the new law requirements. (See the list of available products.) • There would be almost no cost difference to consumers or landscapers because natural slow-release products last 2-3 times as long as fast-dissolving water-soluble products.
Sample Letter of Support - Non Profit Organizations
For a sample Letter of Support for non-profit organizations that cannot endorse specific legislation, click here.
Sample Letter of Support - Organizations and Businesses
For a sample Letter of Support for community organizations and businesses that can endorse legislation, click here.
Sample Letter of Support - Individuals
For a sample Letter of Support for individuals, click here.
If you want to send an email of support to all the Senators in Albany, please copy the entire block of addresses and paste into the "To" block of your email.